Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Me, Dow Jones, And Times Square Church

If any of you have been listening to the news lately at all, you would know that the Dow Jones Average on Wall Street has been like a roller coaster. I've been told that today it closed up 936 points. As recently as September 29 it was down 777 points and folks were predicting that the end was near.

So, what does that have to do with me, as I have ZERO invested in Wall Street? If I could post a graph of the Dow Jones average for the past few months, that roller coaster would represent my emotions. Only today the Dow is way up...I am way down.
Yes, I am still in NYC, but I've had a very personal setback today. Very personal and very disappointing.

So, what does that have to do with Times Square church? The devil did all he could to keep me from attending that church tonight, trust me when I say he really did...but he was unsuccessful. Sometimes we have to do things even when we are not "feeling it". I did. I was glad I did!

It was a wonderful church service. The choir was even better than The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. Oh! the music was just heavenly! And the preacher talked about how "Dow Jones" was not his God. He talked about how we are in difficult times, how it seems that all is coming undone and calamity is all around...in our personal lives and in the life of our nation.

He spoke to me.

Am I still down? Yes
Am I still disappointed? yes
But I feel strengthened with the knowledge that God has it all in control.

The Dow...the country...me.

Isaiah 30:15 ...in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength.

No comments: