Wednesday, November 7, 2012

MY TURN: ELECTION THOUGHTS

 
(View from room 325 on the detox unit. The cross turns a neon red at night. I can't tell you how often, in the middle of the night, while working, when this room has been empty, I've sought comfort, refuge and prayer here.)

  I am looking forward to the day that we can all one day look at each other not as "liberals" or "conservatives" but as "Americans". It makes me very sad to see what amounts to a religious war being declared between the two parties. I know Christians that belong to the liberal party and the conservative party. I also know atheist that belong to each party. I'm not grieved at all about this election or any election for that matter. God is God. He is the same God I served when Richard Nixion was President and the same God when Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton was President. My God knows no party lines contrary to what many would have you believe. Many Christians have bought this lie hook, line and sinker.

 And while I'm at it, it will be nice to have pulpits preaching the word of God again instead of giving poliitcal speeches and holding what amounts to be political rallies at church. Politcs has never saved one soul, it's the Word of God that changes hearts and minds and saves souls.

 If all your faith, hope and help and future is being placed in some politician, well my friend, your faith is in sinking sand. There is hope for America, we are a great nation, and I look to nothing but a bright and shinning future for this country because our God that hung the moon and the sun, our God that placed each and every star in the sky, our God that created the heavens and the earth and yes, our God that placed every black hole in the universe, is the SAME God that watches over you and me and this great nation.

 Isn't it time? Isn't it past time that Christians turn off Fox News, CNN, MSNBC etc and I know it seems unthinkable, but maybe even tune out of Facebook, Blogger and other distractions, and return to the Word of God, seek His face, love Jesus and love your neighbor as the Word of God commands us to do? And yes, I speak of myself as well.

 OR Christians can for the next four years continue to post mean nasty photos of President Barak Obama, bad mouth our country, remain negative about everything that happens, and turn away the very people we should be offering hope, love, and real change to.

 You know...the kind of change that changes hearts instead of political persuasions?

4 comments:

Forsythia said...

Not just Christians, but everyone, ought to give it a rest. The election is over and now one person I know--he stayed up WAY too late last night watching the results--is now sitting on the couch with the TV remote in hand, clicking from Fox and MSNC and everything in between. listening to the pundits dissecting the election in minute detail. Bleh! I'm going to bed.

Grayquill said...

I can't add at thing to your great post! I say let your words stick with me first! Wise words.

Susan said...

I'm thankful I KNOW that God is in control. It is He who sets up and removes rulers and kings for HIS plans and purposes. I am thankful I KNOW that it is HE who holds me in the psalm of HIS hand and protects me under HIS wing. Praise God for JESUS!!!

Forsythia said...

Debra, Hope you are OK. Have been missing your blogs.