Tuesday, August 12, 2008

When The Game Is Over It All Goes Back Into The Box



My family and I have a tradition that might seem strange to those who do not know us.

When we gather together we enjoy playing Texas Holdem. Now some may say, oh! my! that's not very christian. Well, in our case, it is completly harmless. No gambling whatsoever. We have had some of the best times gathered around a table talking, laughing, and joking with each other. Sometimes we even "dress" for the occasion ie sunglasses, hats, even plastic gold teeth! Ha! And yes, sometimes, ok most of the time we can all be quite competitve.

You see Texas Hold'em to our family is like Monopoly to others. It's play money. In the case of Hold'em it's red, green, white, & blue chips. And chips are the way we keep score. He who holds all the chips is the winner of the game. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

It has been suggested by a few, that I may suffer from "sore looser syndrome".They are right. When I play, I play to win. As Hillary Clinton once said "I'm in it to win it".I don't want to lose. And heres is the truth of the matter..

When the game is over everything goes back into the box. All the chips, cards, dealer button...all right back into the box.

I read a book recently by John Ortberg entitle "It All Goes Back In The Box". He talked about how no matter how skillfully we play the game of life or how many things we acquire, a time comes when the game of life is over and then what?

The way to really win in life is to become rich toward God. Gather up and accumulate only that which pleases God, keeping our eyes on the final prize, the one that will open up the door of heaven to us.

Maybe I have been a sore loser. Maybe it's time I just deal awhile. That way I can take a breather, relax, and get aquainted with all that really matters in this life

Blessings, Peace, All good
Memaw

2 comments:

Memaw's memories said...

I have found the best times among family is to sit down and play games. We like uno with the thing that spits cards at you. And Phase 10.

Sounds like you have a fun family.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a lovely picture.. hee hee Well, I really do enjoy poker.. but deep down inside I am a competitor.. I hate losing. I guess it because It makes me feel like I could have been better. Actually, Bub and I enjoy watching you play poker. It makes us laugh, and there is not nearly enough laughter in the world!! But, if you must deal for awhile, then deal... it's not like I'm going anywhere ;0)
Love ya, Jen