Monday, April 21, 2008

An Appointment With Suffering

I guess outside of the bible, the best book I ever read was Hinds Feet On High Places, by Hannah Hurnard. It is an allegory about a character named "Much Afraid" about her spiritual journey through difficult places with her two constant companions named "Sorrow" and "Suffering"

All of us have an appointment with suffering of some kind. If you say you have not suffered , it is only because you have not lived long enough. Just keep living. And it is for certain that we all will find ourselves in very difficult places just as Much Afraid did.

This issue is heavy on my heart this morning because a dear one of mine has a very specific appointment with suffering. A suffering of the physical kind. The thought is breaking my heart, but I must say, Father not my will.

I pray my love one will see the face of Jesus during this trial. Suffering will change a person. It can leave one bitter, angry and dull their emotions. But...if they can just see the face of Jesus and remember the suffering that He went through on the cross for mankind, then suffering can change one for the better.

Some of the martyrs (?) that had been tortured for their belief in Jesus, was so focused on Jesus, that during times of great torture, they reported seeing angels come and minister to them and did not even feel any pain. May angels and Jesus himself come to minister to you during this time, dear one

.
Remember our favorite scripture; II Corth; 4;8-10 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of theLord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.


I end this by trying to repeat a story I think I read from Fox's Book of Martyrs.
Two christian men were being led to their death, to be burned at the stake.
One of the men looked over at the other and said,
Don't worry brother, these flames will cure us both!

I love you my dear one.

I will be praying for you , expect angles of mercy to be in attendance at your appointment with suffering. May you come forth from the battle looking evermore like Jesus.

There is no strength where there is no struggle!

Blessings of Peace and all that is good,
Memaw

No comments: